NaPali

NaPali
Napali Coast

Monday, April 1, 2019


Big Island

Day 1—Captain Cook Town

I landed in the afternoon and went to the apartment. Got settled and headed to get some groceries. Couldn’t believe the Ahi tuna at the store. OMG. Huge chunks. Fresh out of the ocean. Took some home and it was heaven to eat. Long day, time for bed……

Day 2—Snorkel at Two Step

In the morning went to snorkel at Two Step about 15 minutes from the apartment. Visibility was decent and of course, I called out for a honu and none appeared. Guess I am losing my touch. Saw LOTS of Yellow Tang fishies. They were all over. It was fun to swim with them. Missed my honu though. My grandson, Hunter and his girlfriend, Michaela, flew in around 3 so picked the up at the airport and they were hungry for lunch and stopped to get a bite to eat. I told them about the tuna and we stopped at the store next and picked up a huge chunk and some vegys for dinner. YOOO HOOO Had an awesome dinner and they got settled. We decided to hike to some petroglyphs the next day and some snorkeling. Also had the Manta Ray night snorkel lined up for tomorrow night. Busy day, off to bed.

Day 3—Puako Ruins, Beach and Snorkel and Manta Ray Night Snorkel

We made a wrong turn heading to Puako Petroglyphs so ended up at the ruins. Not much happening there. Went to snorkel at Puako and was decent, although didn’t see any honu again while snorkeling. After snorkeling we were sitting on the beach and I saw a huge splash way out at sea. I told the kids that maybe it was a whale so we watched. It happened again and still couldn’t see what was causing the big splash. I knew it had to be a whale. The next splash we could see it was a whale breaching. It was pretty awesome although would have been much cooler to see it up close……

Then there was a honu in the water. I seriously think he was in trouble but wasn’t sure how to help him. He was in the shallow area where there were lots of rocks and he couldn’t get out. I was sick watching him struggle and we finally left. I have to believe he made it……….

At night Hunter and I headed to the manta ray snorkel and were very excited. On the way in the daylight we saw a bunch of dolphins. They were trying to break into the fishing cages for a free meal. Hahahaha at least that is what the captain told us.

After sunset, there were lots of lights from divers and boats to draw the plankton and the manta rays to eat it. Hopped in the water with 200 other folks. We snorkeled around hanging onto a surf board with ropes on it so no one would get lost in the dark. We were in the water about 45 minutes and not a single manta ray showed up. Really bummed about that. It was cool to be on a night snorkel as I have never even done a night dive. When I can dive again, might give that a try. I asked the tour guide when was the last time they saw manta rays and he said a couple of days. They used to show up by big numbers now not every night. The manta rays are probably sick and tired of all the folks….. can’t say that I blame them.

I asked the tour guide if he could only go two places on the island, where would he go. He told me, Queens Bath and then hike on past Paul Mitchell’s home (a home constructed in Bali and shipped in, really awesome, of course) and then on to Kiholo Bay which is somewhat protected and a really cool place to hike around and snorkel and play in the water. And the hike at Hawi, the end of the road on the NW side of the island to Polohu beach. Decided to take him up on his recommendations.

Day 4—Queen’s Bath and Kiholo Bay/Snorkeling

Decided to head to Queen’s Bath and Kiholo Bay today. The hike was awesome and found Queen’s Bath after about 20 minutes. It was pretty awesome and decided to swim in it on the way back. On to Kiholo Bay. As we approached the bay we could see the calm water and the black volcanic rock. There wasn’t a beach but it was so easy to find spots to enter the water almost like walking down steps into the water on the rocks. Hunter and I went snorkeling while Michaela was swimming in the water. Since no waves make it to the enclosed bay, all of the reef had lots of sediment on it. Was kind of eerie but also pretty cool. I followed along the edge where the rocks/reef were and it was a great snorkel.

All of a sudden I see a honu. YOOO HOOO He was covered in sediment also and I almost mistook him for a rock. It looked like he had been in the bay for years and was carrying an inch of sediment on his shell. Then on the bottom of the rock he was by a snake was slithering around. EGADS….. scared the crap outta me. But, of course, it wasn’t a snake it was an eel, but for a second it was all snake to me. Whew….. Honestly though, if it looks like a snake, and slithers like a snake, my mind sees a snake. Hahahaha

After snorkeling a long way around the outside of the bay, decided it was time to take a nap and soak up some sun. I cut across the middle of the bay and that was a trip. It was light, but very little visibility. I kept looking out of the water to make sure I was still on earth……. Very out of this world feeling. Yikes. Went over to some rocks that were smooth and took a nap. It was great as the black rocks were really warm. Oh heaven…….

On the hike back we stopped at Queen’s Bath. The water was soooo cold, but it felt great after a walk back. It was a lot like swimming through the cenotes in Mexico. There are a couple of places you could see out the ceiling. We couldn’t go very far since we didn’t have a flashlight. It was a great way to cool off and finish to a great day! YOOO HOOO

Day 5—Hawi/Pololu Hike and Luau

Today we headed to Hawi to hike Pololu. It was a 2 hour drive to Hawi and the Pololu trailhead was a couple of miles farther to the end of the road….. No where else to go but on a hike. Pretty easy as all down hill to get to the beach. The beach was beautiful but the valley behind the beach was green and beautiful. Stunning beauty. WOW…..

Everywhere on the beach there were cairns. I know that some peeps think that all the cairns take away from the natural beauty of the area and also goes against the ‘Leave no Trace’ theory. I get that they should not be built in places where following the trail is of utmost importance, but when there are a lot in an area where that isn’t the case, I love them….. it’s each person’s expression of how they feel about being where they are (my interpretation). They also have a meaning to me of how many paths or trails there can be in life…….. in that respect I love looking at them……. Every person has a different take on where they are, where they are headed.

Walked along the beach and sat and took in all the beauty. We had a luau to go to and with a 2 hour drive back, had to get going. Obviously, the hike going up was much harder than going down…….
We got dolled up (OK me and Michaela) and headed to the Luau. The line was really long….. I didn’t think we’d ever get in. We also thought we paid extra to get a front row seat, but NOT. Hahaha The show was awesome and the food was too. It was a great night out and enjoyed the meal and festivities.

Day 6—Snorkel at Two Step, Drop the kids at the airport, Snorkel at Manini (2 snorkel day)

Hunter and Michaela had to fly out today, so went to Two Step to snorkel before breakfast. Saw the usual suspects and no Honu. Guess I am losing my touch as a whisperer. We enjoyed the snorkel, then back home so they could get packed and stop by for a late breakfast and some shopping before heading to the airport. Was a great time having them here with me. Went snorkeling at Manini Bay after dropping them off. Was across the bay from Captain Cook's Monument. 

Day 7—Snorkel Koholu’u Twice

Decided to try a new place to snorkel. It was a really busy beach but the snorkeling was great. Did a snorkel in the morning but the tide was really low and I was afraid I would end up scraping myself on the reef. Since it was only 20 minutes to the beach, went home, ate some lunch and returned in the afternoon. Had a great day snorkeling. Since I can’t dive, this is the next best thing. YOOO HOOO

Obviously I have been snorkeling a bunch so I can’t remember where this happened (but it was once when I was snorkeling y myself)….. Was just quietly snorkeling and all of a sudden two folks went swimming so fast by me I thought, well shit, WTF? I turned to look and there was a guy dressed all in black, with a hood and everything, and he had a huge ass spear gun looking for something? To shoot? Holy crap, it literally scapred the crap outta me too and I was right behind them. I have never seen anyone with a spear gun in my life so that was quite unnerving. I can see it now, mass shooting in snorkel bay on Hawaii…….. YIKES. Hahahahaha

8 more days to go in Kauai. YOOOO HOOOO

Love you all. XOXO spank

No comments:

Post a Comment